Check out the digital services HPL has to offer, ranging from computers to printing services.
- Computers are available on a first come first served basis.
- Desktop computers are located mostly on the second floor.
- Laptops are checked out on the first floor for in-building use only.
- Public desktops and laptops have access to the Internet, the Library’s Catalog and Subscription Databases, and Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
- Computer Internet Policy
Homewood Library Cardholders
- Use your HPL card barcode for login.
- The initial computer session is 90 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the 90 minutes expire, choose an extension of either 30 or 60 minutes up to a maximum of 4 hours in a day.
- Purchase a guest barcode at the Front Desk.
- Guest pass costs $2 for a 90-minute session.
- No time extensions available, but you may purchase additional guest passes
- Express Computers
- Located on the End of the Front Desk
- Free 15-minute guest pass required, available at the Front Desk and the Library Services Desk.
- Limited to one 15-minute session per person per day.
- Any laptop equipped with a wireless network card should be able to access the Library's wireless network.
- Most network cards will automatically search for and find the strongest wireless access point and connect you to it as long as your card is set to obtain the IP address automatically and to obtain the DNS server address automatically.
Printing with HPL Computers
- Available on both floors.
- Black-and-white printing is $.10 per page.
- Color printing is $1 per page.
Want to print from your laptop while you're in the library?
Remote printing to a library printer can solve your problem,
or to print an email (with or without attachments), forward it to our first-floor printer:
Large Format Printing
Large format printing is available in The Makery only. Cost is $2 per linear foot. For example, a 24 x 36 inch poster would cost $6. Printing operation will be the same as our other public printers.
We do not provide fax service, but if your recipient will accept your document by email you can send it via our scanner.
The Friends of the Homewood Library purchased a touch-screen scanner that's located on the second floor.
- Convert pages from books, documents, and color or black-and-white photos to PDF, Word, JPEG or HTML files.
- Scans saved as Word files are no longer mere “pictures,” but are transformed into editable files.
- Scanned files can be sent to any email address or saved to your USB drive.
- There is no charge for this service.
- Follow the instructions on the touch-screen.
- USB drives are the only devices that may be used for storing your data.
- Bring your own or purchase one at the Front Desk. An 8 GB USB drive is $6.
- If you need to listen to something on a computer, please be considerate of those around you and use headphones or ear buds.
- Bring your own or purchase ear buds at the Front Desk for $2.
We have an electric typewriter, useful for filling out forms or addressing envelopes, available in the second floor commons area.