Book a Librarian
Book a Librarian is a service that connects Homewood Library cardholders by appointment with a librarian for a one-on-one customized help and skill-building session. This free service is best used for complicated questions that require time beyond the usual walk-in help and for more in-depth instruction on how to use the library's catalog, databases, and the Internet.
Typical Book a Librarian sessions may include:
Introduction to your library
- A personalized tour of the library building and our digital branch, the website.
- Introduction to the library catalog – how to find a book, a CD or a DVD, place holds, manage your account
- Research a topic beyond Google – learn to use the library’s online research tools
- Download eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Help finding a good book to read/movie to see, etc.
Basic Computer Skills
- Introduction to the computer for the person who has never used one
- Using a mouse, keyboarding, managing files and folders
- Setting up and using an email account
- Internet basics
Book a Librarian sessions cannot:
- offer advice (e.g. medical, legal, investment) except to advise you of reputable sources of evaluative information
- assist you with troubleshooting or maintenance on personal computers
- setting up a laptop
- credit card transactions
- typing documents
Schedule a session
Complete the form with as much information as possible. Let us know what you would like help with and what day and time of day is most convenient for you. We will get in touch with you to discuss your topic and to schedule a session as soon as possible. We require at least three business days advance notice in most cases.
- Book a Librarian is a service for Homewood Library cardholders
- Sessions are typically 30 minutes to one hour
- Sessions may be booked Mondays through Fridays, morning or afternoon
- You may have up to two sessions a month
- Check in at the Library Services desk
- To cancel or reschedule please call 708-978-0121 ext. 216 as soon as possible.