Laser Cutter Policy
The Library’s Glowforge laser cutter is available to the public (with staff assistance) to cut or engrave specific materials using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file.
Patrons are not permitted to use the Library’s Glowforge laser cutter to create objects which are:
- Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or pose a threat to the well-being of others.
- Obscene, sexually explicit or inappropriate for the library environment.
- In violation of a person’s intellectual property rights, e.g. the printer may not be used to reproduce objects which are protected by a copyright, patent or trademark.
The Library reserves the right to review and approve all materials and designs before cutting or engraving. The Library recognizes that an original design is the property of the designer and we will not duplicate that design for someone else. The Library cannot guarantee that a cut or engraving will be completed within a particular time frame or with a specific amount of material. The Library cannot guarantee and is not liable for the final appearance of laser cut or engraved objects. The Library is not liable for any damages, human injury, and/or costs in the event of a failure of a laser cut or engraved object.
The Library reserves all rights to:
- Refuse any cutting or engraving request.
- Stop a cutting or engraving job due to time or printer capabilities.
- Set a limit for the maximum amount of time a cutting or engraving job may take.
- Charge users for Glowforge materials.
- Limit the number of cutting or engraving requests.
- Limit access to and determine priority of cutting or engraving services.
- Change these rules at any time.
The Makery Staff reserves the right to refuse any unprepared projects or material that does not meet guidelines prepared by the Glowforge manufacturers. For safety concerns, if any material is questionable or unknown to staff, we will not attempt to cut it for any reason. If you have any questions on material, please contact Makery staff before attempting to use the machine. Patrons are required to bring their own materials to use in the Makery. Some materials will be available for purchase to use with the Glowforge laser cutter in order to maintain the integrity of the machinery. Glowforge guidelines will be available in the Makery.