- Computers are available on a first come first served basis.
- Desktop computers are located mostly on the second floor.
- Laptops are checked out on the first floor for in-building use only.
- Public desktops and laptops have access to the Internet, the Library’s Catalog and Subscription Databases, and Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
- Computer Internet Policy
Patrons who are Homewood Library Cardholders
- Use your HPL card barcode for login.
- The initial computer session is 90 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the 90 minutes expire, choose an extension of either 30 or 60 minutes up to a maximum of 4 hours in a day.
Patrons without a Valid Homewood Library Card
- Purchase a guest barcode at the Front Desk.
- Guest pass costs $2 for a 90-minute session.
- No time extensions available, but you may purchase additional guest passes
- Express Computers
- Located on the End of the Front Desk
- Free 15-minute guest pass required, available at the Front Desk and the Library Services Desk.
- Limited to one 15-minute session per person per day.
Check out a mobile hospot and stay connected to the internet wherever you go! To check out or place a hold on a mobile hotspot, you must be a Homewood resident and an adult patron. Hotspots can only be checked out up to one week with no renewals.
- Any laptop equipped with a wireless network card should be able to access the Library's wireless network.
- Most network cards will automatically search for and find the strongest wireless access point and connect you to it as long as your card is set to obtain the IP address automatically and to obtain the DNS server address automatically.
Youth Homework Computers
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Internet Access (Google Chrome)
- Access to library Databases and educational websites
- Cyber Sitter - Filters out adult websites
- Access to Printing
Kids without Library Cards
Kids without a library card will be able to request free 30 minute passes.
We now have fax services. Faxing costs $1.00 per page (including the cover sheet).
The Friends of the Homewood Library purchased a touch-screen scanner that's located on the second floor.
- Convert pages from books, documents, and color or black-and-white photos to PDF, Word, JPEG or HTML files.
- Scans saved as Word files are no longer mere “pictures,” but are transformed into editable files.
- Scanned files can be sent to any email address or saved to your USB drive.
- There is no charge for this service.
- Follow the instructions on the touch-screen.
- USB drives are the only devices that may be used for storing your data.
- Bring your own or purchase one at the Front Desk. An 8 GB USB drive is $6.
- If you need to listen to something on a computer, please be considerate of those around you and use headphones or ear buds.
- Bring your own or purchase ear buds at the Front Desk for $2.
We have an electric typewriter, useful for filling out forms or addressing envelopes, available in the second floor commons area.